Experience Level :Other
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Clinical Research Nurse is a Registered Nurse (RN) who works collaboratively with physicians, and pharmacists to coordinate care for an assigned population of patients who are enrolled in to IRB clinical research trials. The RN assists in the assessment, management and coordination of care across the continuum of care (outpatient, inpatient and home) including triage of phone calls and proactive patient communication. The Clinical Research Nurse serves to educate patients and families on the clinical trial treatments and required testing. The Clinical Research Nurse is responsible to assure that the documentation for the clinical trial is completed and accurate.
The Clinical Research Nurse actively participates in planning and evaluation processes to improve and advance clinical research within the organization. The Clinical Research Nurse in Oncology fulfills the role in congruence with Oncology Nursing Society Competency Guidelines for Clinical Research Nurses.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Management of Clinical Trials Patient:
- Utilizes resources to assure to learn about new medications or medications that are a part of an Informed Consent Process
- Ensures the consent process is performed in compliance with institutional, FDA, IRB, clinical trial sponsor and other applicable regulations.
- Participates in the education of the patient regarding the clinical trial – documenting the education regarding the clinical trial in the medical record.
- Alerts principal investigator of any concerns raised by the patient during the informed consent process.
- Assures that the signed consent for the protocol is scanned timely into the medical record investigational research protocol.
- Assists internal or external study monitors in the protocol initiation and collaborates the review of documentation during protocol audits.
- Develops in collaboration with the investigational pharmacy and the principal investigator the development of pre-printed standard research orders for therapeutic clinical trials. Assures that the orders are reviewed, approved and posted in Clinical Trials on Line (CTOL).
- Promotes compliance with protocol procedures and processes as outlined in the clinical trial.
- Complies with the International Air Transport Association and institutional policies for shipping and receiving of biological specimens, experimental agents and devices.
- Provides education to nursing staff as applicable regarding the clinical trial to assure that the protocol treatment plan is followed and that the medications are administered safely and as outlined in the clinical trial.
- Collaborates with scheduling staff to assure that future appointments for the patients (follow up visits and diagnostic testing) are scheduled correctly and timely.
- Follows all COH policies and procedures when providing care. Provides care within the California nurse practice act. May provide direct clinical care to research patients.
- Delivers population specific care taking into consideration issues related to age, culture and other social issues.
- Ensures work environment is organized and functions efficiently. Participates in a collaborative, positive work environment as demonstrated through teamwork. Demonstrates a level of professional practice that supports the delivery of appropriate care and positive working relationship within the disease cluster team and through the medical center.
- Maintains current knowledge and awareness of organizational and regulatory standards, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. Is self-motivated in organizing and follows through on assigned projects.
- Acts as a preceptor/mentor for new staff members and/or nursing students as applicable.
- Internal Contacts: Disease program lead physician, NP, PA, Clinical Pharmacist and other health care professionals who may be involved in the care of assigned patients.
- External Contacts: Outside MD, Pharmaceutical sponsor (if applicable), home care agencies and/or community resources as applicable
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
Two or more years’ experience in oncology or research.
Current California RN license
Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR Card through American Heart Association
Preferred education, experience and skills:
Oncology, Hematology or Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT)
OCN certification preferred
Previous experience as a Clinical Research Nurse.
Nursing with previous oncology or clinical trial experience.
Certification pay may apply
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- Salary Offer: *********
- Experience Level : Other
- Career Level: Others
- Salary Type: Annual
- Gender: Male